Psoriasis is a non-contagious skin condition caused by an abnormality in the immune system which causes the increased production of new skin cells. Unable to shed the old skin cells quickly enough, the patient’s skin accumulates these dead cells on the skin’s surface.
Psoriasis has no cure and its cause has not been scientifically determined. The types of psoriasis include:
- Plaque psoriasis – The most common form of the disease. Presents itself as small, red bumps.
- Guttate psoriasis – This is the most common type of psoriasis diagnosed in children. Also has small, red bumps.
- Pustular psoriasis – These are blistered, pus-filled lesions surrounded by reddened skin.
- Inverse psoriasis – Occurs in the areas of the body where the skin folds, such as the armpits and groin. Appears as smooth, inflamed lesions.
- Erythrodermic psoriasis – can lead to severe illness or death through the development of a weakened immune system.
- Psoriatic arthritis – Characterized by joint discomfort that includes pain, swelling, stiffness and/or throbbing.
Common symptoms of psoriasis include:
- Red, inflamed patches of skin
- Silvery scales
- Dry, cracked skin
- Itching, burning or soreness of the skin
- Swollen and stiff joints (psoriatic arthritis)
For adults with mild psoriasis, topical steroids are often prescribed. Other treatments include:
- Carefully measured, daily exposure to natural sunlight
- Oatmeal baths to relieve itching
- UVB therapy (moderate cases)
- Immune system suppressants (severe cases)
Our dermatology providers will work closely with you to develop an individualized treatment plan based on the severity of your psoriasis, your overall health, and your personal preferences.
In addition to medical treatment, our team will provide guidance on lifestyle modifications, such as stress management techniques, proper skincare routines, and strategies to minimize triggers and flare-ups.
If you are living with psoriasis, we encourage you to schedule a consultation at the California Dermatology Institute. Our experienced dermatology providers will assess your condition, provide education and support, and develop a personalized treatment plan to help you manage your psoriasis effectively.
Visit a Convenient Location
Read Some Of Our Patient Reviews
Nice staff. Efficient operation. The office manager told me they are developing a detailed breakdown of charges so patients can see who is paying and how much will be their responsibility. For me, patient care was top notch.
Professional, kind, caring, everyone takes time to listen and hear what patients are asking and give honest feedback that helps patient understand their personal information.
Communication is great and the service is wonderful. Had both an in person and phone appt with Logan and I loved her. If you need a dermatologist, I recommend them.
Very satisfied with health care service. My skin conditions has greatly improved with recommend, prescription medication. Many thanks, California Dermatology Institute for your care and concern.
I’ve only been twice so far. But I’m impressed on the efficiently and quality of care I was shown. I would highly recommend them
Excellent staff and doctors. They treat me like family whenever I come in. I highly recommend Ca.Derm.Inst.
14 Convenient Locations Providing Quality Care
Make an appointment today at any of our 14 locations.